Tuesday, March 15, 2011

pessimist or realist?

I was so shaken when I first saw the news about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan early Friday morning. I was heartbroken for the Japanese. I was sobbing while Bud and I watched the news together over breakfast.

The footage of the raging water engulfing everything in its path looked like a scene from a disaster movie. It was overwhelming. I could only imagine how devastating it must be for those who were there to experience it.


Hours after I heard he news, I thought to myself, I probably shouldn't worry so much. Japan is probably the most equipped country to handle this type of calamity. First of all, I was confident they had the funds and logistics for relief and rescue operations. Secondly, I assumed they have state-of-the-art infrastructure that could withstand earthquakes of such magnitude. Most of all, they are a nation of people who are very resilient, motivated and innovative. If they were able to grow their country to be the second largest economy in the world (until recently when they were overtaken by China) after Hiroshima, they could survive anything.

But days after the tragedy, I still could not stop myself from worrying. This time I worry that I am starting to believe the doomsayers. Maybe we will witness the end of our modern world during our lifetime. There are so many different scenarios being presented by the prophets of doom, all of which are plausible. Now with Japan struggling to contain a possible nuclear crisis, the more I am convinced that it's not a question of IF but WHEN.

Am I being a pessimist or a realist? The even more important question I ask myself is, can I survive?

p.s.
Dear Bunnies, I hope my negative vibe doesn't dampen your mood. I just had to get this out of my system. Thanks for bearing with me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...