Friday, July 20, 2007

Welcome to America, Victoria!

Despite the poor reviews I’ve read about the “Victoria Beckham: Coming to America” prime time special, I did managed to sit through the whole one hour program whilst devouring slice after slice of pizza. The show was exactly what I expected it to be – mindless entertainment. I actually appreciated Posh B’s sense of humor and I liked how she poked fun at herself - imagine dressing up a doll to look like her as a decoy from the paparazzi. I wasn’t really expecting Victoria to share some profound insights or say anything thought-provoking. I just wanted to watch it for the sake of being entertained. It was like reading the Shopaholic series or Bridget Jones’ Diary only this was real.


I think Americans were just expecting to see something different because she was British. They got disappointed when they found out she was just like any other dolled-up diva American celebrity. What I actually found even more shocking (and disturbing) were the Beverly Hills socialites who invited her for afternoon tea. Their Botox-injected faces and collagen-filled lips made Victoria look normal and ordinary.

If there’s one thing I learned from V Becks tonight it’s that celebrity reality shows are NOT meant to be taken seriously. There’s no need to over analyze. It is what it is – an hour long escape from our own reality of work and house chores.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...