Saturday, July 28, 2007

Musings about the internet

We’re going home to Manila very soon and we’re very excited to furnish our apartment! The top 3 things in our to-do list are to 1) get a comfortable bed, 2) install the AC and 3) secure a DSL connection. The internet has been such an integral part of our lives now that it would be difficult to move in without it.

My laptop has been my reliable and constant companion for the last 9 months (aside from my hubby, of course). It’s really ironic how I can sit in isolation in front of the computer the whole day yet I feel so much more connected to the world around me than ever before. Ah, the wonders of the world-wide web!

I practically live my life in front of the computer. For one, it’s the only way I can conveniently communicate with all my family and friends while away from home. Come to think of it, I’m more updated now with the goings on than when I was in Manila. I guess you value relationships even more when you’re outside your comfort zone.

The internet is also my ultimate reference for virtually anything and everything. I learn whatever I need to know with a few punches on the keyboard, from current events, recipes, celebrity gossip, lesson plans, bus routes, weather forecast and contact numbers to first aid care. Most of all, it’s the best source of free entertainment, from movies and TV shows to songs. Who needs cable TV when you can download?

If I am ever going to be stranded in an island and I could only wish for one tool, I would ask for a laptop with high-speed internet connection. If I had that, I might not even want to go back home anymore. It would be paradise.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...